Avoid Disasters in the Cold Winter
The winter season is here and with it comes shorter days and lower temperatures. No matter where you live, winter brings a change in the weather. Many people use alternative heat sources like fireplaces, portable space heaters, and wood burning stoves to help keep homes warm. Did you know, heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths? According to the National Fire Protection Association, heating equipment fires cause an estimated $1 billion in direct property damage annually. Keep the following safety tips in mind to help reduce your risk of heating-related fires in your home the winter season.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or a portable space heater. Have a three foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heater
- Test smoke alarms monthly
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
Source: National Fire Protection Association
About SERVPRO of Fairfield County
SERVPRO of Fairfield County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a storm damage, fire, and smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
If you need help with cleaning up after a fire damage event, please call us 24/7 at (740) 756-7003