Space Heater Safety
SERVPRO of Fairfield County has been dealing with an abundance of fire jobs during the past couple of months. A majority of the fires we have been responding to have most likely started from space heater malfunctions. There are some things you can do to help with the prevention of a space heater starting a house fire.
- Before using any space heater make sure that you inspect the heater for cracked plugs or loose connections.
- Make sure you NEVER leave a space heater on unattended, turn it off before leaving a room or going to bed and do not let animals or children near the space heater unattended.
- Keep everything that is flammable at least three feet away from the space heater (Curtains, furniture, clothing, and etc.).
- Plug in the space heater directly into the wall, do not plug into an extension cord or surge protector. Plugging it into these devices could cause the surge protector to overheat resulting in a fire.
Space heaters are one of the biggest starters of house fires, if you use these tips they can reduce the likeliness that SERVPRO of Fairfield County will be doing fire remediation work at your home.