Preparedness on a Budget
Building an emergency supply kit can be a challenge, especially for those that are pinching every penny. However, you can still build a kit without breaking your budget! Check out these tips below to get started.
Creating an Emergency Supply Kit on a Budget
1. START NOW! Take small steps now so that you can be ready!
2. Make a plan with your family and neighbors for what to do when disaster strikes. Go to ready.gov/make-a-plan to download a Family Emergency Plan.
3. Check your insurance policy and make necessary changes to stay protected.
4. Update your contact information. Make sure you have the correct information for your family, friends, and neighbors so that you can stay in contact and let people know you’re okay.
5. Make a ready list– we’ve started this one for you on the other side! Think about what you might need that isn’t included on our list or things that we have that don’t fit your needs and plan accordingly.
6. Try to purchase your supply kit items when they are on sale.
7. Don’t buy everything at once (unless you want to) and you won’t notice the cost as much.
8. Create a plan for when you will purchase your supplies rather than impulse buying right before a big storm is about to hit.
9. You don’t need to buy fancy bottled water for your kit. Just make sure that your containers are airtight and clean.
10. Ask for emergency supply kit items as gifts for your next birthday rather than getting thing you don’t need.
11. Stay in rather than going out for just one night. The money you would have spent on dinner and a movie could go towards your supply kit instead.
Those of us at SERVPRO of Fairfield County hope that these tips are beneficial to you!